- Weighted Vests: Get More Out of What You Do
- Best Weighted Vest Quiz
- In Depth Weighted Vest Reviews
- 1.) RDX Adjustable Weighted Vest
- 2.) Perfect Fit Weighted Vest
- 3.) Empire Women’s Weighted Fitness Vest
- 4.) CROSS101 Adjustable Camouflage Weighted Vest
- 5.) CAP Barbell Adjustable Weighted Vest
- ListofFit Best Pick: CROSS101 Adjustable Weighted Vest
- Factors Considered in Best Weighted Vest Ratings
- Why Selecting a Quality Weighted Vest Matters
- 5 Awesome Exercises That Are Even Better With a Weighted Vest
Weighted Vests: Get More Out of What You Do
Within the last decade there has been a marked increase in the interest of weighted vests. Exercise programs such as Crossfit and Beachbody’s Insanity have been major hits in the fitness world and often focus on whole body movements and using one’s own body weight to produce big fitness results. For some more advanced fitness buffs, the weighted vest adds a whole new layer to this type of workout and is an easy way to add weight to your workout to produce faster results. With a great weighted vest you can easily make each push-up, pull-up, plank, jump rope, sparring session, and sprint more intense. Heck, research shows that even just doing your regular daily activities with a weighted vest will show a significant increase in your athletic performance (we don’t necessarily recommend this as the same study also showed that just using a weighted vest during exercise will suffice). The research also advises that when working out with a weighted vest you will see a real benefit by adding just 5-10% of your body weight for 50% of your training sessions. The moral to that lesson is that you don’t need to pack on an extra 50 pounds to get the results you are looking for. Other research also shows that when used by older women weighted vests can lower the incidence of falling episodes.
As we’ve shown here a weighted vest can be a crucial component to many workout plans that focus on differing goals. Whether you are an Olympic hopeful, a Crossfit junkie, or just trying to build a little strength to avoid another fall, the weighted vest is a useful tool in each scenario. Below we have selected five of the best weighted vests that money can buy. Be sure to consider the weight ranges that each vest provides and consider what your primary purpose is for buying a weighted vest.
P.S.- As an added bonus to this article we’ve included five exercises that are even better with a weighted vest! Either click on the link or scroll to the bottom of this article. Be sure to check out the slides and the corresponding videos for instruction on how to properly execute each exercise.
- Weight Options: 14kg or 18kg
- Price: ~$85
- Best Use: CrossFit, Running, Strength Training
- Pro: Best looking weighted vest in the list and comes in many different color options.
- Con: Only comes in two weight options: 14kg and 18kg
- Weight Options: 20 lbs. and 40 lbs.
- Price: ~$50
- Best Use: Strength Training
- Pros: Flat flexible weights that move with you throughout your workout
- Con: Stability can be an issue when attempting to run in the Perfect Fit Vest
- Weight Options: 8 lbs.
- Price: ~$34
- Best Use: Running, Cardio
- Pros: Designed to fit a woman's body snug allowing for walking and running
- Con: Lightweight options may not suite fitness buffs who want a bigger challenge
- Weight Options: 20 lbs, 40 lbs, 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 70 lbs, 80 lbs, 100 lbs, 120 lbs, 140 lbs
- Price: ~$30-$250
- Best Use: Strength Training, CrossFit
- Pros: Large range in weight options, build quality of this weighted vest is heavy duty
- Con: Depending on the size vest you purchase the Cross101 can feel a bit bulky which can limit range of motion for some users
- Weight Options: 20 lbs, 40 lbs, 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 70 lbs, 80 lbs, 100 lbs, 120 lbs, 150 lbs
- Price: ~$53-$220
- Best Use: Strength Training, CrossFit, Hiking
- Pros: A quality standard weighted vest that offers solid build quality and functionality
- Con: Fit for some users will be an issue due to the one size fits all sizing
Use our quiz to determine which weighted vest best suites your needs.